Frequently Asked Questions
What is the typical price range of your services? *
- I charge a $200 session fee (+ GST) which includes the first hour of shooting.
- Additional hours are $150/hour (+ GST).
- My commercial rate is $250/hour (+ GST).
- Additional charges may apply for extra equipment, fuel surcharges, and editing time. You will be notified in advance should any extra charges apply.
- Select Team Photo packages are sold all inclusive so the above charges may not apply.
* To all my valued customers, due to the depressed Canadian dollar, effective April 1, 2016 all Authorized Canadian Retailers of professional camera equipment will be increasing their prices by 30%. These retailers supply me with the vital equipment I need to provide you with the high quality images you've come to expect from my services. The costs of running my business are directly impacted my these increases and - in response - I've had to increase my shooting rates by 30%. Please be assured that providing you top quality photos remains my foremost priority. I thank you all for your continued support and understanding in this matter. I look forward to serving you in the future.
What factors contribute to how much you charge for your services?
Contrary to popular belief, there is much more to professional photography than clicking the shutter button and taking the picture. There a number of factors that affect how much I charge, some of these include:
- Camera Equipment Depreciation, Maintenance, and Upgrades
- Computer Equipment / Hard Drive Storage
- Website Costs
- Internet Bandwidth Expenses
- Business Expenses (utilities, fees, insurance)
- Vehicle Expenses (fuel, maintenance, insurance)
- Photo Editing Time
- and much more....
If you look around, you will find that for what you are getting, the price of my services are very competitive.
What methods of payment do you accept?
- I currently accept cash, money orders and business cheques. For those of you who like to pay online, I can accept credit cards through Paypal’s secure website or Email Money Transfers from your financial institution. Any products purchased directly from my website must be done through credit card or Paypal processed by my web host, Smugmug.
When is payment for due for a photo shoot/event?
- Due to several non-paying clients in the past, payment for all photo shoots is required on THE DAY OF THE SHOOT. If there is some difficulty obtaining the funds on event day, please contact the photographer PRIOR to your event to make alternate payment arrangements.
Will you travel to shoot an event?
- Yes – based on schedule and availability.
- If the event location lies outside of the city limits of Winnipeg, I charge a fuel surcharge of $0.50/km round trip from the city centre to the photo shoot location. Distance is measured via Google maps.
How long have you been a photographer?
- I have been taking pictures almost all of my life. In 2002, I started shooting regularly for professional hockey teams. Then starting in 2004, I immersed myself into the world of shooting virtual tours. I have been quite deep into both types of photography ever since then.
Why do you have mostly hockey photos in your portfolio, is that all you shoot?
- No. I am capable of shooting many types of events and sports. Hockey just happens to be my passion and livelihood for the most part, and I spend many long days at the rink… hence all the photos.
What type of photography do you specialize in?
- While it’s easy to say I’ll shoot anything, in reality, nobody is a master at everything. I primarily specialize in sports team photography – especially ice hockey. In addition, I shoot 360º Virtual Tours for commercial and personal use. It’s what I do best.
What other services do you offer?
- I can also shoot weddings, portraits, and restore old or damaged photos.
Do you have different backgrounds for shooting portraits?
- Yes, I offer several color options for backgrounds. In addition to standard muslin backdrops, I also use green screens quite often – so you can have whatever background you want.
Can I provide a shot list of photos I want you to take at the event?
- Definitely, it’s your event; I’m here to ensure you get exactly what you’re looking for. Don’t worry if your idea seems too complicated, I enjoy a challenge and you never know what we can accomplish.
I want you to shoot our sports team, who books the sporting venue?
- It’s up to you to book the arena, playing surface, or other venue. You are responsible for any rental fees and time slots required. It’s my job to just look after the photography of the event.
Our sports team is not that good; will you still take great photos of us?
- Absolutely! Photography is an art form where angles and composition mean everything. I will find those angles and make you look like a pro. Just leave it to me and you will be impressed – I guarantee it.
Is there a limit to how many photos you can take at our session?
- No limit. I will shoot unlimited photos at your session – until you get what you’re looking for.
Can I get a high resolution copy of the completed photos?
- Yes. The client who booked the photo shoot will have access to the entire final collection of images for personal use only. They can download them from a private gallery on my website – this is free.
Do you have a policy on the usage of images in the final collection of photos you release?
- All of the photos in the final collection are yours to use royalty free for personal use only.
- I, the photographer, still retain the right to keep a copy of any photos taken for future promotion or commercial use. To maintain high quality standards, I also have the right to remove any photos from the final collection that are deemed unusable (ie. blurry, underexposed photos, etc).
What if I intend to use the photos for commercial use?
- You will have to purchase a commercial license from my website to use any of my photos commercially. Contact me for more information.
Do you touch up the photos?
- Yes – only when needed. I pride myself on getting the photo shot correctly the first time. Not much else is needed other than removing blemishes or doing minor color corrections.
What type of camera equipment do you use?
- I mainly shoot with Canon SLRs and professional L-series lenses. I also use a variety of wide aperture prime lenses for capturing events in low-light situations. Depending on the situation, I can bring mobile studio lighting to the shooting location.
What kind of pricing do you charge for photo restorations?
- That really depends on how much restoring the photo needs. Prices start at $40 for a basic photo retouch to $100 for major photo reconstruction. This process takes a lot of time and you have to make sure everything looks good while maintaining the quality of the photo.
Will my original photo be altered in any way during the restoring process?
- No, not at all. With the exception of scanning your original photo into the computer, your original photo will be left untouched. All photo restoration work is done on a high resolution digital copy of your priceless photo.
How long will it take to see our photos after the shoot?
- This depends on the complexity of the event. Generally, I get to work immediately on completing your photos. I usually aim for a few days to a week to display proofs on my website.
Will my final collection of photos be stored safely?
- Yes. Safe storage of your photos on my website was a top priority when choosing my photo hosting provider, Smugmug. In a partnership with Amazon.com, Smugmug has all of your photos backed up securely in Amazon’s network of data-centers. Your photos are protected again data loss, natural disasters, fire and theft.